The Hemp Mask: Say “High!” To A New Skincare Trend
While smoking, no matter what substance, is bad for your skin, cannabis applied topically may be good for it! Introducing the Hemp Mask, a growing trend in the cannabis spa scene. There is confusion surrounding the differences between hemp and CBD in the cannabis community, so it’s important to differentiate what a Hemp Mask may do for you vs CBD skincare products. Hemp contains omega fatty acids that are good for your skin and hair. But CBD also has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It’s important to be sure you know the ingredient list on a cannabis product – whether it says hemp, CBD, cannabis, or all the above. The actual ingredient list will tell you more about a product than the brand name.
To avoid any confusion, you can also make your own DIY Hemp Mask. But, if you don’t want to bother with a DIY, there are other hemp skincare products you can dabble with including masks. You can order the Himalayan Hemp Mud mask from Hemp & Company on Amazon, and it has good reviews. This mask’s ingredients are Calcium Bentonite Clay, Himalayan salt water concentrate, Organic Virgin Hemp Oil, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Cocoa Butter, and Rosemary Oil. It’s priced at $24.45 for a 5.2 oz tube. You can also try Hempz Exfoliating Herbal Cleansing Mud mask or the Natural Regenerating Mask from Cannabis-Cosmetics. Whichever Hemp Mask you choose, make sure hemp or hempseed oil are in the ingredient list (and not just part of the product’s name). Or you can just plan a cannabis spa day on your next trip to Colorado! For those of you who want to try, here’s a basic DIY Hemp Mask:
DIY Hemp Mask
This DIY Hemp Mask recipe is easy to make and is customizable. In fact, if you live in a state where cannabis is legal, or you have access to medicinal cannabis products, you can even add topical CBD products to get the benefits from both hempseed oil and CBD in one. Here is the basic process for a DIY Hemp Mask.
DIY Hemp Mask Materials:
- 1 ripe avocado
- ¼ cup hempseed oil
- 2 tsp spirulina powder
- A couple drops of essential oil of choice (optional)
- Large makeup brush you don’t mind getting messed up (optional)
- Topical CBD oil if available to you (optional)
DIY Hemp Mask Steps:
- Cut avocado, remove pit, and spoon flesh into blender. Add remaining ingredients.
- Blend until mask mixture is smooth, creamy, and looks like a bright green slime.
- Pour out of blender using a scraper to get it all and set aside in small dish.
- Prep your skin by placing your face over a freshly boiled pot of hot water. Use a towel over your face and soak up the steam for about ten minutes.
- Once your skin is prepped, use your hands (or brush) to apply the mask mixture. Avoid your eyes.
- Let mask sit for 15-20 minutes while you do something relaxing!
- Rinse mask off your face and store any extra in the refrigerator.
Enjoy integrating cannabis products into your spa routines today!